thebookcoop

The Tale of Genji
Murasaki Shikibu, Royall Tyler
She Rises
Kate Worsley
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern DNF. I got about 65 pages in. The following is not a proper review!

I hate the writing style. I will never like or appreciate the story which is fractionally interesting but the long windy passages, half which could be scrubbed out, the present tense, the 'tell' rather than show style... it just doesn't work for me. If you like/don't mind/can get past the style maybe you'll like this book. I really can't even bring myself to read another word.

I don't care.

I don't care about the characters because I don't feel them. They're just words on a page. The whole 'circus mystery' I don't care. I get what she is doing in her tone - trying to make the circus and magicians sound as mysterious and magical, but I just cannot see the magic. I've never liked circuses, and I don't like magic tricks (even if in this case they are real!)

This book simply is not my cup of tea. I was destined not to like it and book group or no book group I do not want to waste my time reading a book that I will never like.