thebookcoop

The Tale of Genji
Murasaki Shikibu, Royall Tyler
She Rises
Kate Worsley
The Elephant Vanishes - Haruki Murakami, Alfred Birnbaum, Jay Rubin I’ve had a good roll of short stories lately and they have touched me at exactly the right time. What I like about them is that they are quick and you do not invest so much emotionally or time wise. This is my first set of Murakami’s short stories and I know he’s written quite a few collections. I’ve never been a fan of them and so until now I’ve avoided reading them.

I liked many of the stories in this collection – Sleep, The Dancing Dwarf, The Second Bakery Attack. In fact there was only one I did not truly like and that was ‘TV People’. Sleep is possibly my upmost favourite as it left me with such a feeling of darkness and fear at the end. Maybe because I was reading it after having got no sleep myself!

Some I did not completely understand, which is a matter of course when it comes to Murakami, but due to being a little sleepy while reading this I wasn’t able to muse as I would do normally, over how this story, or this thing made me think or feel.

The themes that Murakami writes about will not surprise his current fans. People who are lost, who find themselves in a personal rut and have no direction, passive to all the strange things that happen to or around them, just trying to find their sense of identity and purpose.

Each story however is unique. Some are more strange and surreal than others, some are more obviously magical or fantasy-like.

I look forward to reading his other short story collections now and feel a lot more comfortable with reading this form of story.