thebookcoop

The Tale of Genji
Murasaki Shikibu, Royall Tyler
She Rises
Kate Worsley
Howling Miller - Arto Paasilinna The Howling Miller is a Finnish novel, but translated to English through the French version. I wonder how much is lost from the original this way? Never the less – no matter how it is translated, I found this book to be well written and it had me chuckling throughout.

The book is set shortly after the second world war and Gunnar Huttenen has appeared in the small town to open the mill. He is a big hit with the villagers at first until he starts this business of howling in middle of the night for no apparent reason.

It is a simple story of how one man’s perceived oddity by not conforming to the town’s expectations, has him labelled insane. It does not matter that some of the towns’ people own behaviour might be considered odd, their oddness is of the acceptable kind.

In the backdrop, the towns people are making a lot of money through supplying timber to aid the Korean war, whilst still getting over the effects of the second world war where they were fighting the Russians. The historical context of this novel is probably more obvious if you are Finnish. All I knew was that they were fighting the Russians during the second world war.

The Howling Miller is described as a black comedy – not the kind that will have you rolling in your seats but the kind that will have you smiling and chuckling. It is light hearted but with something to say about society and how we treat others, whilst forgiving ourselves for perhaps more questionable behaviour.

I would love to read another book by Arto Paasilinna. I liked being in Finland and I like the author’s sense of humour. I rarely go for books that are labelled comedy or humorous because so often I don’t find them that funny. The only other one available in the English language is The Year of the Hare which sounds equally good and strange.

I wish there were more Scandinavian literature available in English other then crime novels, of which they are abundant.

I read for my face-to-face book group and I wouldn’t say it’s one I’d have gone for naturally – as I said I rarely go for books if they’re labelled humour, whatever kind. Ironically – The Dark Side of Love which was one I actually would have chosen and had shown an interest in even before it was selected as a group read, I ended up not liking and this one, which I wouldn’t have chosen, I did.