thebookcoop

The Tale of Genji
Murasaki Shikibu, Royall Tyler
She Rises
Kate Worsley
A Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami My head is spinning. What on earth was that all about? I only semi-understand. I think it would really help if I knew a bit more about Japanese culture and history.

I've given this a three because I preferred the other three I have read - if I could give it 3.5 I would.

So if you haven't read this yet it would probably be useful to look up the Russo-Japanese war and post second world war Japan.

It might also help to read some Sherlock Holmes which I haven't done yet. Murakami is an author who makes you want to read he's also an author who makes you think as well and think differently.

There are many references to silence, darkness, emptiness, time, the sky - the clouds, bird calls, which build up this rather spooky, strange and almost oppressive atmosphere. This is what I love about Murakami - the atmosphere he manages to create - giving the book a physical space within yourself.

Very simply, this book is about the search for a missing sheep. Obviously this isn't what it's really about but you need to figure that one out for yourself.