thebookcoop

The Tale of Genji
Murasaki Shikibu, Royall Tyler
She Rises
Kate Worsley
The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett, Robin Lawrie I finally read this book, after having always wanting too.

As a child, I remember going to see the 1993 film and I have always loved that. Perhaps that is what kept me from reading it so much, having loved the film so much I suppose I saw no need to read the book.

I am glad I have read it now, more then glad as it is a lovely, sweet and beautifully written book. I thought it was going to be more childish, but in fact it is not. It is a pity they do not also publish this book as an adult book as well because despite it being about young children I think it will also be enjoyed by older people as well.

It was a lovely, light hearted book, one that grows in you and makes you want to read more and more. It has a good message and a good moral story though without being too pushy or overly religious as I feared.

It has made me long to go to Yorkshire though, and see the moors and listen to the beautiful accent they have up there. I wonder though, if it it is as strong as it must have been in the past.

I was also thinking as I read this, that at the time of publication my grandma would have been too. I don't know why I come to think of such a strange unrelated thing. But that is what life - in a way - must have been like when my grandma was a baby - the clothes and the ways of life. I remember seeing this for the first time but I can't remember if my grandma was there with us or not - we had seen her on that day.

I love reading classics for the fact that they were written for the people of that day and not us. The Secret Garden was a book my grandma or her siblings may have read when it wasn't quite yet a classic. I think all books have a time and place and the meaning and the way you read it changes even though the book itself does not.

Hmm, that's slightly off on a tangent I know but it makes me curious I suppose, as to how differently perhaps we read a book - or how a book is written, in relation to the time and period.