thebookcoop

The Tale of Genji
Murasaki Shikibu, Royall Tyler
She Rises
Kate Worsley
Barracuda 945  - Patrick Robinson Boy, am I glad I allowed myself to be persuaded to read this book. Although, persuade is a rather light description of the methods used to induce me to read The Loop. I forgive them though.

Thanks goes to Jeane, Atishay and Kathy who for many a long day campaigned for me to read this book and I can't blame them.

It was fantastic.

Nicholas Evans is one of those gold dust authors who has some magical ability to capture thoughts, feelings, actions, movements - everything in words without even trying to, seemingly.

The Loop grabs you by the throat and takes you on the most beautiful, suspenseful and exhilarating journey a book can give you. I was really worried all the way throughout - Evans held my heart at ransom I think, asking me want to finish this book, even though part of me was scared to, and part of me didn't ever want to leave the book.

It was a difficult read. I love wolves, perhaps that is what put me off reading this book for a long time. I remember looking at it in the shop years ago, especially when I was about 14 wondering about it. I think at the time I wasn't ready or mature enough for such a book, but perhaps the reason why I did look at it in the shop a couple of times (it always seemed to be on sale in train stations funnily enough I remember) was because I knew deep down it was a book I'd read in the future. And now I have thanks to some gentle coercion.

The Loop, is a book you immerse yourself in. When you open the book, you do not read you just feel and see and hear and smell. You are constantly on the edge of something. It is about survival, love and redemption.

Once again, as in The Divide, Evans has given birth to real characters, people who inhabit your brain and who you can't stop thinking about.

The Loop weaves a story of love, redemption, life and survival. When Helen comes to Hope, Montana, she is not at first hopeful of anything. Her love life is a mess and she is a born cynic. She comes to Montana to help protect a wolf pack who have recently been suspected of killing the rancher's cattle. Life for poor Helen though doesn't become any easier when she meets one of the most influential ranchers in Hope - a Buck Calder.

For those of you who haven't read a Nicholas Evans yet, you're missing out. I can't wait to read his other two - but I am going to wait! The Brave is coming out later this year and maybe if I can eke the other two I have not read out over the year then I will not have to wait so long for his new book.