thebookcoop

The Tale of Genji
Murasaki Shikibu, Royall Tyler
She Rises
Kate Worsley
The Divide - Nicholas Evans Some books grab you the moment you read the first page, but others, like this one, burn slowly but constantly until you don't even know how or where it grabbed you.

This isn't a book that races, it is a book that meanders and flows. At first, it might just seem about a simple family drama, a family splintering and breaking apart. But it is so much more then that. It's about humans, about people and human nature and their deep, confused but complex emotions.

I can't quite put my finger on what I liked about this book. The story was not so much driven by plot, but by the characters that inhabited the pages, and soon came to live like real people in my mind.

Evans makes you feel a range of emotions - and I think one of the key points I found within this novel really is - truth. Evans as an author does not just write a story, he somehow writes the truth. Something pure and beautiful.

I didn't think I would like it. Many times I thought I would not. Sometimes I wondered what I liked so much about this book, but something did seem to grab me from the first page, only I didn't realise it until later. I couldn't put it down and by about half way through there wasn't a chance of me putting it down.

To me, it wasn't a book you necessarily race through, hungry to get to the end - it is a book you live through.

Thanks to Jeane and Atishay for making me want to read Nicholas Evans. I'll be going onto read all his others now. :)