thebookcoop

The Tale of Genji
Murasaki Shikibu, Royall Tyler
She Rises
Kate Worsley
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë Jane Eyre has been one of those classics sitting on my shelf that I've been wanting to read but just never jumped into it. It came up as one of The Next Best Book Club's group reads though and so I pushed myself to read it.

Why did I wait so long? I knew the story already due to countess television productions, my favourite being the 1983 version with Timothy Dalton. I loved the story and wanted to read the book. I suppose knowing the story took away the need to read it so much.

What surprised me the most was how racy it was. When you think it was published in 1848 by a woman - it was quite forward for its time and must have been quite shocking.

To cut a long review short, I loved the book and I love the story. I really admire and look up to Jane and she is one of those characters you want to be and that you look up to.

She is so strong, so passionate - but also very principled. This is a book jam packed with emotion, real heart-beating emotion that jumps of the page and grabs you by the neck. This is compulsive reading.

I wish I'd read it when I was younger.