thebookcoop

The Tale of Genji
Murasaki Shikibu, Royall Tyler
She Rises
Kate Worsley
The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows I shall start off by saying that this is a lovely, well written and wholly enthralling read. It is overall a happy book, but with the reality of war - tinged with much sadness.

I think it's biggest criticism is that abominable title. It is too long and just too much of a mouthful. When people ask me what I am reading I can't remember the exact title and can't even be bothered to say it. I refer to it as Guernsey and hope people know what I'm talking about.

Just look at the damn thing:

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society."

It is the AND that really does it. Too long, to hard to read - not really an attractive title and who ever agreed to publish it under such a name should reconsider their job. If Laura from The Next Best Book Club here on GR had not recommended it to me so enthusiastically I'd never have even bothered looking at the book description.

That is my only real criticism and I hope that one day someone has the sense to give it a more catchy title. When in a bookshop I have a lazy eye and I'd just look straight past that.

So, that gripe aside, it is a lovely story told in an epistolary format - a collection of letters. The only problem with that though, which you could see - was that it can be very restrictive.

That aside, it was a beautiful read and I find myself thinking I ought to move to the Channel Islands. I've always wanted to live on a small little island. I want a child like Kit and I want to marry Dawsey.

I'm also going to call my future daughter Isola. My future son shall not be called Dawsey - I don't know where the author got that name from!

Easy to get lost in - well worth the read and thank you to Laura especially for getting me to read it.