thebookcoop

The Tale of Genji
Murasaki Shikibu, Royall Tyler
She Rises
Kate Worsley
Postmortem  - Patricia Cornwell This was given to me as a birthday present from a friend here on GR which makes this book one hundred times more special and unique. I think when reading a book given or recommended so enthusiastically by someone whom you like there is an added element to reading. Although this does add a little bit of pressure - will you like it and what will you say if you don't?

Well I always tell the truth as I don't care for beating about the bush.

And I loved this. I was hooked from page one until the very last page and I could barely put it down. Cornwell has a very good style of writing - it is suspenseful, the right about of tension to induce that page turning effect a good crime novel like this needs. I'm not experienced very much in this genre which I have slowly began to get into over the past year, but all that I have read so far share that ability.

This is the first in the Scarpetta series and also the first I have read and I really enjoyed it.

This book was published in 1990 and was one of the first to use forensics as a base for it's main character - rather then the detective as you would expect. Of course since then we have had the CSI franchise - and in the UK we have Silent Witness and Waking the Dead which both have a forensic element.

One of the most interesting aspects I found was actually how technologically we have advanced since 1990 - as the internet and computers was not quite as is now as it was then. So I am interested in comparing her books as they progress through the series for that reason in part.

So in a way the storyline itself is not really so unfamiliar as I have seen it on TV dramas in many various different ways, but I have actually yet to read of one. I am enjoying this genre of fiction very much and glad to add another author and series to my growing TBR.