thebookcoop

The Tale of Genji
Murasaki Shikibu, Royall Tyler
She Rises
Kate Worsley
Charlotte's Web - E.B. White, Garth Williams I read this first in year four and well, you know what school does to books. It took us weeks to finish it, after slow reading aloud sessions and they gave us special exercise books to fill out, turning reading into a tiresome chore where we learnt nothing at all relevant.

I re-read it a couple of years ago out of curiosity. It's a lovely little children's story that I still enjoyed even now.

It is about a pig, the runt of the litter who is adopted by the farmer's daughter who takes an interest in wanting to save its life. He is fed and lived in the barn (or shed?) with the company of the other animals who inhabited the farm - including the resident rat.

The pig grows up happily eating as much food as possible, growing nice and fat. And then he learns through the other animals, that pigs are eaten for food! Scared about being eaten the poor pig becomes sick with fear, until a spider named Charlotte drops down from her web and comes up with a clever plan...